Some fun Earth Day facts:
- The population of the world grows by 211,000 people every day. To put it in perspective…that’s a new Akron, OH each day.
- 40,000 acres of land will be converted to desert (about the size of Boise, ID).
- Recycling 1 aluminum can saves enough energy to watch TV for 3 hours.
- Recycling 1 glass bottle is enough to light a traditional bulb for 4 hours!
- April 22nd is the first day of Spring in the Northern Hemishpere and Fall in the Southern Hemisphere. So that’s why this date was chosen for Earth Day!
- Only 11% of the Earth’s surface is used to grow food.
- In 1872, Yellowstone became the first national park.
- Recycling every newspaper would save 250 million trees per year. Sadly, only 25% of Americans choose to recycle theirs.
- The average individual throws away 4 pounds of garbage each and every day.
- Every year, Americans toss out 16 million diapers, 1.6 billion pens, 220 million car tires, and enough aluminum to rebuild the US commercial air fleet 4 times over.
Makes you think doesn’t it?